Sunday, September 19, 2010

Technology in the Classroom

The first thing that popped into my mind when reading the chapter was the usage of calculators back in my secondary schooldays. At that time, I was quite apprehensive as it was a new tool to me and making a mistake was one of my fear , just in case I spoil the calculator.
But children nowadays, are so exposed to technology , that they embraced the idea and welcome technology in the classroom quite easily. In fact, their homework can even be done through the internet! It's pretty simple - log on to the website, enter password and Viola, the homework is ready for you to do!The website can tell you which questions you had done wrongly and you may revisit straight away to correct it. I learned this from my 9-year old. Another surprise came when my boy asked me to save his powerpoint presentation in a thumbdrive. How cool is that?!
Nevertheless, in teaching Math concepts, nothing beats using concrete materials. As I had mentioned before, to me , Math means logic. It is quite hard to manipulate things if they are abstract and for young children, they need a lot of trial and error in making sense of their learning.
I guess, that is also why Dr Yeap seldom use technology during his lessons. It was more of "You do and You see and You understand" kind of activities that we did in class.

With the inclusion of technology in teaching Mathematics, it serves as a fun element in the child's learning journey .
~counting one to one correspondence, an extended activity using computer games (abstract) after the child has mastered the concept well~

~ an addition activity, child making connection between abstract and non abstract medium~

Technology? Yeah, it's useful when you need to blog, especially for Dr Yeap to read your understandings.

No comments:

Post a Comment