Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Number sense = Make sense ?

Reading this chapter makes me reflect my practice as a Math teacher to preschoolers. There are actually a lot of concepts that these young learners learn ! But these concepts are taught very progressively , as they build on the foundation for Mathematics for a young child. Nowadays,these concepts are taught in such that it develops the child's thinking, scaffolding them to be independent thinkers.

Among the common concepts practiced in school are :
1) Counting on and counting back
2) Part-part Whole Relationship

I have been using these 2 practices to teach children the concept of addition and subtraction using concrete materials as well as number line . I have also used the practices to get young children to see how we derive to number bonds.

The less familiar concepts to me are :
1)Anchoring 5 and 10.
2)Doubles and near doubles

Perhaps these concepts can be similar to some practices that I have done but the strategies used are not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment