Friday, September 3, 2010

Reflections on Chapter 1 & 2

Maths has always been one of my favourite subject in school as a learner, back then, and now as a teacher to little ones.
I believe in the magic of Maths and have always enjoyed those "magic" tricks that involves Maths. I believe that in Maths ,what's important is the logic behind all the procedures that I have learned when I was a student in school.
Before reading or even picking up the book to read the first few chapters, I thought that I would be overwhelmed with numbers (as usual). But after reading chapters 1 and 2, apart from the facts information, I enjoyed reading and making sense out of what the author shared in the 2 chapters.
One of the most important point that I picked out is that, in teaching Mathematics to young children, concrete materials in everyday experiences are the most important tools in helping children to make connections of the concepts learned .

~ a trip to the supermarket, a real life experience when teaching concept of money~

~a measuring activity,using non standard measurement~

~real objects to help in counting (non abstract)~


As a teacher, it is important for us to be able to think creatively and be reflective as, Mathematics,in my opinion, also means to be able to think out of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment