Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Personal Reflection

3 big ideas in teaching Mathematics:
1)Visualization
2)Patterning
3)Number Sense

That is what I have learned and experienced throughout the lessons with Dr Yeap. Truly enriching and fun, with many ideas and strategies to teach basic Math concepts to children. All along , it have always been said that to teach Mathematics, we should always use concrete materials. This will allow a child to have a better understanding of concepts taught.
But after my week ended with Dr Yeap, I think another strategy for teaching Math is also to have a vibrant vibe ! As a learner, I come to class looking forward to see what other "tricks" Dr Yeap has up his sleeves and how "thought-provoking" the exercises that he had prepared for us that day.
I find myself very challenged to solve the Math problems and if I can't solve, I would go "Oh I see..." rather than "Oh ok...".
I have always been fond of Math, though not very fantastic at it, during my school years. Attending the module have made me recall and reflect myself as a teacher and as a learner.
In Math, there can be more than one way of seeing the logic and through manipulating with concrete materials, we get to experience for ourselves, as the magic of logic unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment